Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mother's (Chicken Noodle Soup) Love: Dalk-kal-guk-su (닭칼국수)

Growing up, chicken noodle soup was the tangible essence of mom saying, 'I love you and I'll make you feel better.' And living abroad, doesn't everyone need a little taste of home now and then? Even 7,500 miles from my mom, I can still be 'loved and made to feel better' with a steaming bowl of  'chicken noodle soup' (닭칼국수-dalk-kal-guk-su).

I can't decide exactly what I love the most about dalk-kal-guk-su; maybe it's the softness of the noodles (store bought!); the garlicky-saltiness of the broth; perfectly blanched carrot slivers; white, juicy chunks of chicken; overcooked zucchini; or the red pepper flakes (sauce) that adds a kick to the soup that leaves me sucking in air between pursed lips to cool the sting. Of course the 3-small steamed dumplings floating in the broth is an added bonus. And a small bowl of rice is served with the soup, just in case you feel like more carbs!


Whether it's memories of mothers love or a whole bowl of memories, it's too good to miss!

I found this lovely little bowl of happiness in Gangnam. Restaurant Name: Chuncheon Dalk-kal-bi Location: go out exit #7 of Gangnam Station. Walk straight until you get to the movie theater and then you'll turn right at that corner (there's also a McDonald's and Starbucks on the first floor). Walk up the hill then turn left at the first intersection. After 20-30 meters, the restaurant is on your right. It's next to MF Fitness and across the street from Daiso. There is no English on the menu, but there is a picture of a bowl of the soup. Price: 5,500Won

1 comment:

  1. Sounds soooo delicious. Makes me want to get out of the hotel (we're in Dalat at the moment) and get me a bowl of happiness. And what a great way to describe the feeling, my taste buds are on high alert and it almost felt like I just had a spoonful of noodle soup in my mouth right now!

    ReplyDelete